Saturday, May 11, 2013

2013 Transformation Challenge Essay

Feb 11th – May 11th, 2013 Lifetime Fitness 90-Day Transformation Challenge Essay
Written by: Christine “CC” Hodges, Ms. Green Pea

I can close my eyes & am vividly brought back to my thoughts as I stood next in line at the scale on Feb. 11th, the first 90 day weigh in. A competitive aura was evident, with a firm grip I held neatly folded papers with my very detailed goals and a concrete workout & diet plans that my trainer and I had perfectly crafted. Seconds before I weighed in, I told myself I would do it. I will compete to win. I would do whatever it takes to win. I didn’t even know what "winning" meant in that moment but I wanted it.
Shortly after my first weigh in I began to blog, under a blog name Ms. Green Pea. As the days passed and struggles of family illnesses, breakups and work stresses arose ... my concrete plan began to shatter quickly… I missed my first workout; I ate something out of my plan! Quickly, I made a decision to be completely transparent with my journey and I remember thinking, “ha! What a mistake!” After having to write an entry near Valentine’s Day about how many cookies I ate. I kept telling myself, “Shame on me for fooling myself & wasting others time; I wasn’t strong enough, I couldn't possibly follow a plan for 90 days.” But in that moment of shame & guilt I turned to my blog to write about “those feelings” … more like FOOLINGS ... "Fooooldings" as I’d come to call them. Foolish food cravings over feelings! And to my surprise it helped, the more I shared about my "fooooldings" the more it kept me accountable!!! After the blog entry, titled "4 cookies later..." I received so much support. To my complete disbelief, I started receiving an outcry for help! Close friends, Facebook acquaintances, people who I hadn't spoken with in years reached out, even strangers asking for tips, needing encouragement and direction. People saw my 90 Day- Transformation journey as a place for laughs, a place for support, a place for inspiration, and the most life changing experience for me: a place to grow! My journey started helping others!!!!
My days were full: my career in Sales was at an all-time high, salon business on the side, managing somehow to balance life as a single mom I bullied…. & continued to work out with my trainer one-on-one, with TEAM Fitness Crew 3 times a week, long distance running one day a week & Zumba as many times as possible! I asked to upgrade my membership to the Junior Executive Membership at Lifetime so I could have all club access and exclusive training options, with Minnesota’s best! I had workout groups made up of old friends, Zumba classmates that became my best friends, and new friends I had met and started working out with. I even consistently started working out at 6 different Lifetime locations in the Twin Cities accessing the clubs 69 times throughout the 90 day Challenge! What a blast! The positive energy flows similar from club-to-club. I love it and everything that Lifetime has to offer each community. I saw the inches decrease on my body the more others reached for my hand of encouragement & the more I shared my journey with everyone.
The last 90 days of my life were unlike any life experience yet. They were amazing, they were spiritual, they were emotional, and they were truly a great gift given to me, with a message that I was destined to deliver.
The most touching moment during the 90 –Day Transformation Challenge was just recently when I received a phone call from a number I didn't recognize. I answered which was something I wouldn't have done before. She said "CC...Will you help me?" "Yes, I would love to,” without question & without even knowing who she was or what she needed help with! We both started crying instantly because in that moment, I knew how she felt... How I had once felt & lived: Fat, ugly, insecure, selfless, lonely, shameful, guilty & confused. Even though I didn't know who she was until nearly 15 minutes in to the call, come to find out it had been almost 5 years since we spoke... she reached out …to me? I questioned myself. She reached out for my advice? WHY? And she believed in my words? YES!!!!! In that moment the light bulb of life turned on, in that moment my life changed. And in fact, in that moment I began to live! I began to live as the smart, educated, successful, valued, impactful woman I was determined to be. And now I am compelled, with every interaction I am given, to help others, and more specifically help others find "that person" in themselves. In that moment, I realized, I had won.

-----

A special thanks to my trainer: Alicia Schuelke, you have a gift & for that i admire you. You continue to push me & have always been there for me.
KG, for listening to me & reminding me how important this journey is.
Cameron, you are my breath of life. You're 2 1/2 & someday I hope you read this little man, you are the reason mommy is doing this.
To EVERYONE that reached out to me with questions, with suggestions, with LOVE & support!!!! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. You've kept me accountable!

THANK YOU for following me the last 90 days-- this journey was for you all & has forever changed my life & hopefully changed my waist size for life too!!! YEEEEHAWWWWW!!!

The "winner" will be announced Thursday at 6 pm.. Stayed Tuned! Who will advance to Nationals!!
Scoring:
30% based on actual results
30 % before after pic
30% essay
10% panel of judges

Your friend in fitness & encouragement,
Ms.Green Pea - xo




For more from Ms.Green Pea continue to check her, join her on Facebook & twitter @msgreenpea

HMs. Green Pea Worldwide, LLC

1 comment:

  1. You, my dear, are inspiring and I am so so so proud of you. :)
    Can't wait to see you (January at the very latest)!!!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete